This week was all about installing a piece of trim beneath the cornice we previously installed in the Dining Room.
Weeks before when we were creating the mould for the cornice, we had to eliminate a portion of it. The portion was this small, lamb’s tongue trim. Turns out that while the heavy cornice was essentially the same in the Hallway, Dining Room, Study and Salon, only the Dining Room had the lamb’s tongue trim in plaster. All the other rooms had the trim in wood. I guess this is because the Dining Room is the only room not completely engulfed in oak. Really, I’ve never seen a house with so much wood.
The good thing about installing this trim was that it covered the imperfections and more obvious joints seen in the large portion of the cornice. Due to the weight of the trim, only one person was needed to install it. Ramon was instructed to install the door casements while I installed this trim. It wasn’t a difficult task, but one that I wanted to do differently.
After installing each piece, I noticed that it did not lie completely flush with the larger piece above it. This was because of the fluctuations and imperfections in the walls and ceiling, as well as those found in the cornice itself. Small voids could be seen in between the trim and the cornice and this did not settle well with me. This is where I encountered trouble because I wanted to fill these voids. This task was just too time consuming and we needed to move on, so I left the voids showing.
“No one will see that, but you.” Truly, from the ground, one cannot see these voids, but the perfectionist side of me was screaming. This was a good lesson in facing that side of myself and letting it go. This was extremely difficult.
A small delay on the creation of additional pieces forced me into the Study where I began pointing. Once the pieces did arive and after a fair amount of pointing and finishing, the trim in the Dining Room was installed and it looks great.