The last week of my internship was all about pointing. I mentioned earlier in the internship that I wanted to do more pointing. Careful what you wish for! Actually, I thoroughly enjoyed doing it, but the perfectionist side of me reared its ugly head once again. So I had to squash it once again!
I spent half of my time pointing the Study and the rest of the time pointing the vestibule between the Butler’s Pantry and Kitchen, as well as the remaining Kitchen pieces and finally the Staff Office. The Study was the only room with the ornate, heavy cornice. The other rooms had a simpler cove cornice.
Pointing the Study presented several welcomed challenges. The first was replacing several of the acanthus leaf lobes that were broken off during installation. This required cutting a set of decent lobes from a scrap piece of cornice and plastering them into place. It was fun watching a broken piece become one again.
The other challenge was found in the mitre joints where the two walls merged together. A bit a creative license was used in order to create a believable joint. For example, portions of two eggs in the egg-and-dart ornamentation were removed and replaced by a much thinner egg that I built up between the neighboring darts. Leaf details were shortened and/or extended to create a seamless transition.
The challenge with the cove cornice found in the other rooms was found by the size of my hands and less by the shape of the cove. Interior mitre joints were initially difficult because I had to find comfortable ways of applying and removing material. But once I discovered the right technique and hand movement, the job became easier and more manageable.