Much of this day was spent casting the cornices from the rubber moulds we created earlier this week. I botched several of them because of my impatience and probably from using old plaster, so I won’t go into great detail about that. I know what needs to be done to correct my mistakes and it’s just a matter of “staying the course” and using my brain.
I would like to point out the incredible job that Edmund did on the acanthus leaves that I boxed in the day before. By boxing in I have attached wooden sides to the wooden platform where the plaster piece is glued. The liquid rubber is then poured into the box and the plaster is surrounded. Once one piece has been created, multiple pieces are cast from the rubber and then aligned side-by-side. The multiple pieces are pointed (joints repaired and blemishes removed) and a chain of repeating enrichments has been created! It’s always been done this way. I used to think that each individual piece was sculpted, but that would take forever and a day.
The big news I would like to briefly write about are the cool and useful tools that we use that are missing from the school’s shop. I mentioned earlier about the use of simple garbage cans, but what takes the cake this week is the rotary cutter. This little gem makes cutting burlap a breeze and no shop would be complete without one. I was told that it showed up in an unmarked box without any instructions, diagrams, warranties, etc. Just a shiny tool in a box!
The other tool is the trammel. This is “an instrument consisting of a board with two grooves intersecting atright angles, in which the two ends of a beam compass can slide to draw an ellipse.” I’m not sure how to accurately describe it, but hopefully the pictures will do a better job. We debated making one of these for a project in school, but we didn’t think it would work properly given the circumstances. Anyway, it’s a very cool devise and one that I hope to make in the future.